Downloading and Installing Houdini

Post here what do you think about ideachess and your improvement suggestions.

Postby DATR » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Many people seem to have difficulty downloading and installing Houdini 1.5, the free Chess Engine. Does anyone know the best way?
DATR

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Downloading and Installing Houdini

Postby DATR » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:33 pm

I am not an expert. I found this explanation on the internet and it worked for me, however I suspect my laptop an i3 processor with 4MG Ram may not powerful enough to run Houdini with 4CPUs because it runs at 100%. So I have to lower it to 2 CPU. It is important to know that Houdini is a Chess engine, and like a car you can't drive it without a body, Fritz is a GUI, Graphics User Interface, this is the body of the car. So Houdini has to be installed inside Fritz before it can run. Anyway, this is how I installed it on Fritz. 1. Download Houdini and note were it is saved. It is a Zipped File so Extract the files and note were they are saved. 3. In Fritz select Engine the select Create UCI engine. 4. Browse to find the downloads and select the engine, 64 bit or 32 bit, the 64 bit is stronger but needs a 64 bit processor. 5. Houdini will appear in the Name box. 6. Select OK. Houdini will now be an Engine in Fritz. 7. In the Engine menu Select Change Main Engine and Select Houdini. That is it. Having installed Houdini it is interesting to play it against Ftitz. To do this select Engine Match. Note. If you have a 64 bit processor you can download both engines, if not just download the 32 bit version.

Hope this helps.
DATR

Postby nozzolo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Ok grazie Datr. Stasera provo.
nozzolo

Postby nozzolo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Datr, sorry but when I select from Menu Levels/Engine/Load Engine, I cannot select browse to find download. Why?
nozzolo

Postby DATR » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I have Fritz 12, I select Engine then select Create UCI Engine then in the window that opens press the button with the three dots ..., There isn't a button that says browse. It is the one with the three dots. Hope this helps.
DATR

Return to Site Feedback