Scoring ELO

Having trouble using ideachess? Ask for help here.

Scoring ELO

Postby skessdtrek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 pm

How exactly does the computer determine the ELO improvment (or worsening) on a given problem? It seems that on ones where there's 5-6 moves to solve, I get +2or3, but on ones where it's 2-3 moves and I miss it, it scores a -10 or more. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how much improved or worsened my ELO is regardless of the ELO of the problem or the RD of the problem. I think if I get 4 moves then miss the last one, I should still get at least a +1 as opposed to a -10 or other form of partial credit. Particularly as some problems only require 1 move, and I'm left wondering exactly what the next part of the tactic is.
skessdtrek

Scoring ELO

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Scoring ELO

Postby tigaente » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi,

I also agree that partial solutions should be accounted for (i.e. lose fewer points). I also think that it is very demotivating if you lose 14 points when giving a wrong answer but only get rewarded 3 or 4 points if you get something right.

Slightly off topic: I would very much like to have a retry-button if you make a mistake so I can have another go at the problem.

tigaente
tigaente

Return to Help and Support