A Recent Game...

The place to discuss general chess topics

A Recent Game...

Postby scribesunlimited » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 am

Follow along on your board if you like. I'm exceptionally proud of this one, especially being on the hardest level of computer here at ELO 2400. I played Black.

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qe6+ 4. Be2 Qg6 5. Nd5 Qd6 6. Ne3 e5 7. Nf3 e4 8. Ng5 Qe5 9. h4 h6 10. Nh3 Nc6 11. d3 exd3 12. Qxd3 Nf6

It seems so far that White has pretty good development, but it hasn't managed to castle yet and get out of the line of fire. I'm about to make it sorry it didn't.

13. Nc4 Qe7 14. Nf4 Nb4 15. Qb3 Qe4 16. Na3 Bd6

Even more pressure on the knight, forcing White counterplay. I'm not quite sure about f3 here at all. Seems very weak.

17. f3 Qe7

Chases my Queen back, but she is just biding her time now.

18. Bd2 Bxf4

The first major exchange and already White is at the disadvantage. This capture was merely to clear some space.

19. Bxf4 Nbd5 20. Qb5+ c6

Questionable. Perhaps it's to cover the frozen e2 bishop.

21. Qa4 O-O

Finally I can castle. White, as you can see, still cannot. And it is getting dangerous. :)

22. Rh2 Nxf4

Another clearing capture.

23. Qxf4 Nh5 24. Qe4

White wants to trade queens? Not when I have a much better move:

Threatens Qg1+ and winning the rook. At this point, I cannot imagine why White didn't castle here: O-O-O seemed good.

25. Bd3

Threatening mate. But I had Nf6 to play - and it did something a LOT more than just stop mate and threaten the queen. Can you see it? Note the wide open d and e-files. This spells disaster for White shortly.

25. Nf6

I'm salivating at this point. :)

26. Qf4 Qg1+

I play the killing move. This essentially sealed the game. Again, White's failure to castle was key here.

27. Kd2 Qf2+

Not content with taking the a-rook. I smell blood.

28. Kd1

Almost forced. If Be2, then I play Re1+ and it's a wash for White.

The end. White is about to be forced to give up his queen.

29. Qe4

What better move did White have but to threaten mate? Sadly I also threaten it with one more move.

Finished. White has NO choice but to take the knight with the queen. The only other option is Kc1, which leads to a swift mate: Qe1++.

30. Qxe3 Qxe3 31. Rh1

Trying in vain to get my queen into some challenges with Re1. I have other plans.

32. Re1 Rxd3+

33. cxd3 Qxd3+ 34. Kc1 Bf5 35. Re4 Rd8

And from here, you can see a forced mate in 3-4 moves. :think: I hope you enjoyed this instruction, and that it helps you. Please examine this game on your own, and see if you can spot where White went wrong. Enjoy!

A Recent Game...

Re: A Recent Game...

Postby scribesunlimited » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:50 pm

scribesunlimited wrote:28. Kd1

Almost forced. If Be2, then I play Re1+ and it's a wash for White.

That should be Re8+, apologies.

Postby DATR » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 am

Interesting game. Well played. I doubt if I could beat this engine at this time, although I am pretty sure my Houdini would. Whites main mistake was 20. Qb5+ as you pointed out, the game was lost after this move with accurate play.

You suggested white should 0-0-0, but that would lose the bishop to the knight fork followed by the queen fork.

You are clearly a much stronger player than me and I wonder what skills you are applying that I need to acquire.

I can think of a few factors. Your:

1. Natural intellectual capacity is greater than mine, I believe we all have limits and I might be close to mine. " A man must know his limitation"

2. Positional understanding is better

3. Thought processes are probably different

I currently:
1. Ask my all my pieces for a report on what they are currently doing and what the can contribute.

2. Ask my opponents pieces for the same think, what are they threatening

3. I consider the various tactical possibilities in the position and construct story boards as stepping stones to future positions.

I think one of my main weaknesses is finding my opponents best responses to my moves, I am often surprised by the response, but then I usually understand why, after the move has been made.

I would appreciate any comments you have on my approach and any suggestions on how yo improve it.

Postby scribesunlimited » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, I have read a LOT of books on the subject and have been playing on and off for about forty years. I just know from what books tell me. "How to look three moves ahead" and "Winning Chess tactics" are two of my favorite books, plus I learned a great deal about winning moves from a book outlining Bobby Fischer's most outrageous moves. I really haven't been "taught" by anyone; I just read books and somehow I'm able to keep that information. :D That's really all the advice I have.

However, it would seem to me that if someone really good, from long ago, wrote a book about chess, that would probably be well worth reading. Modern Chess Strategy by Edward Lasker (published in 1915) and "The chess-player's handbook" by Howard Staunton, for example. Learning how the grand old grandmasters played the game so well would probably be to every chess player's benefit. :D

Return to General Chess Discussion