I am on the current version of JRE. 7 version 1.71.21. From Javatester webpage:YOUR BROWSER LIES: Java 7 Update 10 introduced a new checkbox that disables the use of Java in all browsers. By and large, this is a good thing, but there seems to be a failure to communicate between Java and many web browsers. As a result, all the browsers I have tried so far incorrectly report that Java is not installed when, in fact, it may be installed but this new security feature has been enabled.
Seems that the upgrade to JRE 7 actually caused this problem. I have checked several other java apps and they are failing also. Will update to version that came out a few days ago. This has become a problem since Oracle started maintaining Java.